Organics Cart Information
All food and yard waste, and many items made from natural materials.
Approved bags for organics cart and kitchen catcher
The only approved bags are see-through 100 per cent compostable bags, marked by the manufacturer with both the US and Canadian compostable logos. You can purchase 100% compostable bags in Beaumont at:
- No Frills (Glad Compostable Bags)
- Home Hardware (Nature Compostable Organics Bin Liners)
- Sobeys (Glad Compostable Bags)
- Rexall (Glad Compostable Bags)
- Shoppers Drug Mart (Glad Compostable Bags, Bio-life Compostable Mini Kitchen Bags)
Note: No plastic bags, including thin grocery produce bags, can be put into the organics cart.
Preparing material for your green organics cart
- Line the bottom of the green organics cart with newspaper, paper towel or an approved 100% compostable bag to ensure items don’t stick to the bottom.
- Layer wet items with dry ones.
- If possible, wait until the day before collection day to clear your fridge of food you’re disposing of.
- Wrap meat and seafood in newspaper to help reduce odours.
Keeping your organics cart clean to help reduce odours
- Keep the cart lid closed.
- Wrap material in newspaper or use approved compostable bags.
- Alternate layers of ‘brown’ material (leaves, shredded paper, cardboard, sawdust, etc.) and ‘green’ material (meat, dairy, garden waste, etc.).
- Store your organics cart out of the direct sun, in a cool, well-ventilated area year round.
- Put the organics cart out for collection on scheduled collection day even if it is not full.
- Add a small amount of baking soda.
- Rinse the cart weekly or every second week with a water and vinegar mix or a diluted bleach solution.
For a a detailed sorting list A-Z click here.
||Pork & pork remains
|Baby bottle liners
||Fish and fish parts
|Balloons (without string)
||Flour, grains, dough
||Sauces & spreads
|Beef and beef scraps
||Fruit and peelings
||Sawdust & wood chips
||Seeds & nuts
|Chicken and chicken scraps
||Kabob skewers (wooden)
||Soil (small amounts)
||String (cotton, small amounts)
|Cooking oil (cooled)
|Cotton balls (clean)
||Meat products & bones
||Oil (used cooking, cooled)
||Oily, fatty foods
||Twigs (small pieces)
|Dead plants & flowers
||Vegetables & peelings
|Dirt (small amounts)
||Wax paper (soiled)
||Paper products (soiled)
||Wine corks (cork)
|Eggs and egg shells
||Pizza & soiled pizza boxes
||Popcorn bags (paper)
Facts about your carts
- The carts and kitchen catcher are the property of Evergreen Ecological Services. They stay with the home where they are delivered and should never leave that address.
- Carts should not be modified in any way, including adding a lock.
- Replace damaged or stolen carts by calling 780-929-4306.
- The carts can hold the equivalent of 3-4 big bags of material.